plate lead filled. This plate was patterned 1839 and circulated mainly
from 1857 to 1863. It was most often issued on a black buff leather belt
with a standing leather loop. Many “puppy paw” plates were issued
with a thin leather patch on the back of the buckle. To date,
research is inconclusive as to the reason for this. It may have
been used to pad the lead backing or to take-up room from the sometimes
large stand-off puppy paws used by some manufacturers.